What do you need:
- 275g / 10oz Odlums Flour Self Raising
- 50 g / 2 oz of cocoa
- A pinch of bread soda
- 275 g / 10 oz of powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 225 g / 8 oz of mayonnaise
- 300 ml / 2/3 pt of cold water
- 75 g / 2 oz butter
- 175 g / 6 oz icing sugar (sieved)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (sieved)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- To dust
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C / 350 ° F / Gas 4. Lightly grease and baseline 2 x 7/8 "/ 18 / 20cms sandwich cans.
- Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda in a bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla essence. Next hit on mayonnaise.
- Finally, alternatively, beat the flour mixture and the water in the mayonnaise mixture, starting with the flour mixture and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide between the two prepared cans and bake for approximately 40 minutes until it is firm to the touch and well raised.
- Remove from the oven and let stand in cans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire tray to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the ingredients to fill them together. When the cake is cold, use to sandwich the two halves.
- Powder with icing sugar on top